28 Dec Creme-de-Menthe Squares
Apparently, showing up late to the party is my new “thing.”
I had every intention of sharing these incredible dessert squares with you in time for your holiday parties, but I failed again… Just like with the autumn Pumpkin Muffins. Ugh!
Shame on me. Like, really… picture the walk of atonement from Game of Thrones. Shame!! These are PERFECTION. And you could’ve shared them with your families for Christmas and impressed that one uncle who always picks on you because he says you can’t cook!
I’ve failed you, friends. Please forgive me.
Maybe some of you out there still have belated office parties that were scheduled for the new year. Or maybe you’re having people over for NYE and you’d still like to knock their socks off with an amazing sweet treat. Or maybe you’ll just take my word for it when I say these are totally worth Pinning for next year’s Christmas cookie exchange. Regardless, these are absolutely worth sharing – even if I’m late to the game!
These babies are glorious little Andes’ Mints on steroids! My family has been making them for years, so it just doesn’t feel like the holidays without them.
And don’t worry… My resolution for 2017 will be to bring you recipes in a more timely manner. Until then, there’s always next year for these Creme-de-Menthe Squares!
- 1¼ cups butter (2½ sticks), divided
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3½ cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1 beaten egg
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups finely ground graham crackers (pulse in a food processor for best results!)
- ⅓ cup Creme de Menthe liquor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 1¼ sticks (10 Tbsp) butter and cocoa powder in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir well until blended.
- Remove from heat and add ½ cup powdered sugar, vanilla, and egg.
- Stir in graham crackers and mix well. (Mixture will be very thick.)
- Press into an engrossed 9x13'' glass baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Then wait 30 minutes to cool before moving on to layer #2.
- Melt ¾ stick (6 Tbsp) of butter in a large microwaveable dish.
- Add Creme de Menthe with a hand mixer, then the remaining powdered sugar (3 cups).
- Spread mint mixture onto layer #1 and chill for 30-60 mins before continuing.
- In a saucepan, melt 4 Tbsp of butter and chocolate chips, stirring continuously so not to burn.
- Heat until just melted, then spread onto layer #2 a little at a time.
- Chill for 20-30 minutes, then cut into small (1-inch) squares.
If making a double batch, mix layer #3 one batch at a time for best results.
After completing layer #3, do not wait longer than 20-30 mins to cut the squares or the layers will harden too much, making the squares difficult to separate.