18 Jan Loaded Southwest Salad with Spicy Taco Chicken
Welcome to 2018, friends!
Have you noticed I may not be the *most* consistent blogger in the world? In fact, I’m pretty terrible at it. I love cooking and baking, and sharing it with all of you… but sometimes being a mom, a wife, and a friend kind of interferes with my writing time.
For example, this amazing salad: I’ve been sitting on these photos since September. SEPTEMBER!! You guys, I have failed you. I grovel at your feet for forgiveness. Think of how many times you could have enjoyed this fresh and filling salad over the last 4 months! You could have slipped it in here and there, between the holiday feasts, for a break from heavy winter fare. You could have enjoyed it on your back patio before the weather betrayed us all and the temperatures fell. You could have served it to Santa – it’s that freaking good.
Alas, it was not meant to be.
But here, I hope to redeem myself. I bring you this flavorful and delicious salad just in time for 2018 resolutions. In time for spring break, and swimsuit season. We can still make up for lost time, dear readers! We are in this together.
I am in love with this southwest salad. The flavors, the textures, the way it fills you up like a solid meal… It is perfection in a bowl (or on a plate – jury’s still out on that one). Black beans, avocado, and baked taco chicken satisfy the hunger of even the most powerful appetites, while my green chile sauce offers the perfect amount of kick to top everything off.
I hope this baby helps you keep on track with your New Year’s diet… even for just a few more weeks.
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, washed and shredded
- 10 oz spinach, washed
- 1 cup sweet corn (either frozen/thawed or canned/drained)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 4 green onions, diced
- grape or cherry tomatoes, to taste
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1-2 small handfuls of tortilla chips, crushed
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 cup (lightly packed) washed cilantro leaves
- ½ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup real mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2-3 heaping Tbsp of diced green chile peppers
- juice of 1 lime
- ½ tsp sea salt, to taste
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Refrigerate until salad is ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all spices/seasonings for the chicken in a small bowl and set aside.
- Rub both sides of chicken breasts with a small amount of olive oil and place in a 9''x13'' glass baking dish.
- Coat both sides of each chicken breast with the taco spice mixture. (Chicken should be thoroughly covered - use all the spices!)
- Bake the chicken for 30-40 minutes, (flipping halfway) until done and juices are clear. Let cool slightly, then shred with 2 forks and set aside.
- While the chicken bakes, prepare your veggies and plate salads. Top with shredded chicken, crushed tortilla chips, and dressing; then enjoy!
Taco seasoning recipe from 730 Sage Street.